The purpose of the concept project is to evaluate and to conceptually specify feature requests for the further development of ASAM OpenSCENARIO. The expert community has identified and prioritized twelve features for which this project shall develop concepts for standardization. In case that the concept development requires increased resources and more time, then this project might spawn additional concept projects by creating the required project proposals. The concepts shall then be incorporated into the future versions of ASAM OpenSCENARIO or become a separate . standard
The first step of the project is to create a unified view and understanding of the core conceptual framework of OpenSCENARIO and how individual concept proposals would fit into that framework. The project will then explore several proposed improvements of existing features and the introduction of new features to OpenSCENARIO (List of Features and Requirements as presented in the ASAM OpenSCENARIO Proposal Workshop on Jan 17-18, 2019). Those have been identified and prioritized in earlier meetings of users of OpenSCENARIO. The features for concept development are in the order of priority:
- Maneuver Model: Complete the existing specification of maneuver descriptions in OpenSCENARIO with advanced features, such as time- and distance-based maneuver definitions, splines, composition operators, sub-scenarios and others.
- High-Level Maneuver Descriptions: The standard shall provide a method for maneuver descriptions on a higher level of abstraction, aka key-scenario descriptions. This shall contain only the logical description of scenarios with as few parameters as possible. Various standardization approaches are in discussion, including the definition of a domain-specific language (DSL) or using a general purpose language with a domain-API.
- Traffic Model: Develop a model which describes the movement of traffic participants in the surrounding of the ego vehicle.
- Parameter Stochastics: Instead of just describing fixed parameter values, the standard shall also allow methods for describing parameter distributions and variations.
- Driver Model: Develop a model which describes the driver behavior.
- Environmental Condition Model: Develop a model which describes the weather and other environmental conditions.
- Replay of Recorded Scenarios: Scenarios may be defined from pre-recorded trajectories, which shall be replayed during simulation.
- Automatic Parameter Calculation: Instead of manually setting each parameter in the data model, the standard shall allow to specify mathematical formulas to calculate parameters.
- Infrastructure Event Model: Develop a model which describes information originating from the infrastructure to influence the drive behavior of the ego car.
- Vehicle Dynamics Model: Extend the current data model with elements needed for vehicle dynamics simulation.
- Additional Metadata for Parameters: Parameters shall have attributes for URI and name space.
- Language Constructs for Localization: The data model shall include ways to specify local variants.
The proposed internal structure of the project consists of a top-level workgroup and several sub-working groups that work in parallel on feature concepts. The outcome will be the definition of feature concepts or concept project proposals to spawn separate concept projects for them. Concepts may include prototype implementations, example code or demonstrators to show feasibility of the concept and how an implementation in accordance with the concept could look like.